Company is a very successful chemical multinational, world market leader in a niche market, employing some 2.000 personnel and making a turnover of appr. € 1 billion. The company is largely private equity owned.
The headquarters is based in the Tilburg area. It counts 3 business units:
- Packaging coatings
- Performance coatings – a recently acquired business unit with a turnover of appr. € 140 mio. and active in EU and N-America, focusing on automotive and on fire retardants
- Leather coatings
The company produces for these niche markets, partly in the form of toll manufacturing, yet it also trades products for resale. As a result of its strong position in the niche, based upon long lasting performance, the company has noticed that it can sell other chemicals to its existing customer base as well.
The culture of the company can be characterised as entrepreneurial and commercial, fast paced, low on procedures, little hazzle and targets, yet hard working and proud employees, plus a lean organisation.
The procurement director started at the beginning of 2019 and is based at the headquarter. He leads the following team
- 3x category manager ‘raw materials’ in Spain, Italy and NL
- A category manager ‘logistics’ in NL
- A category manager for India
- A local buyer for indirect spend in NL
- Regional procurement teams in China, India, Central America, N-America
- A supplier development & performance manager.
You will report into the procurement director and be based at the headquarter. You will come to procure raw materials for production or PFR products (Products For Resale). Depending on your experience and know-how you will come to focus on one of these categories: acrylics, additives, isocyanates & polyols, silicones & solvents. Your spend will be appr. € 50 mio.
Your stakeholders are Product management, R&D, production, site management, planning, senior management of the business lines and key supplier managers. You will be challenged by product management and by business management.
The procurement director is looking for a colleague who creates a global sourcing strategy for the category, together with stakeholders and gets their their buy-in. Once this has been achieved he/she establishes the roll out:
- Plan along the key-aspects ‘cost, quality, logistics, service, innovation’ in collaboration with stakeholders, ensuring quantifiable and/or cashable efficiencies are identified, prioritized, delivered and reported
- Ensure all purchased goods required are appropriately negotiated and contracts bring competitive advantage
- Organize good supplier relationship management for key suppliers
- (Regional) raw material markets expertise, monitoring and forecasting
- Manage supply risk, and support the resolution of escalated supply issues
- Represent the category in regional cross-functional forums and programs (e.g. SOP, complexity reduction).
He/she also wants to understand the supply market for the category:
- Understand key cost drivers, market trends and best practices across key categories of spend to support assessment of cost and value
- Follow world wide price developments
- Able to play with strongly differing prices in the various regions.
In your role you will also need to dive into CSR:
- Making use of the program within the chemical industry called “together for sustainability”, where CSR reports on suppliers are shared among participants and that has the goal to have deep knowledge of all players in the supply chains. At the moment the focus is on tier 1 suppliers only.
- CSR audits need to be executed throughout the supply chain.
- Life cycle assessment data need to be obtained from suppliers so as to buy more from suppliers with a low footprint, which means that new formulations need to be found (in close cooperation with R&D) for existing products.
International travel will be part of your job.
- A relevant Bachelor or Master's Degree
- Proven track record in procurement (experience in R&D, or Ops or SC management are also valued) of coatings/specialty chemicals
- Excellent negotiating, contracting and supplier management skills
- Proven success in driving supplier cost, quality and delivery performance improvement programs
- Team player with excellent communication skills (in English)
- Self starting, analytic, action- and result oriented
- Entrepreneurial and daring to challenge
- Available at least 4 days/week
- EU work permit.
- Starting salary up to € 100K annually, depending on experience and background.
- 27 holidays
- Bonus scheme depending on company performance, between 10 and 20% of gross annual salary
- Group pension plan: ‘middelloon’ arrangement and 7% own contribution above € 40K gross annual salary
- Working from home is possible up to 3 days/week.